www.flickr.com

Thursday, November 17, 2005

A Jolt of Freshness

I recently purchased LAST OF THE MOHICANS at Target the other day. Have you ever visited the dvd section of Target? It's a marvel. A modern day marvel. I have NO IDEA why I blithely ignored that whole area of the store all of these years. I freaking love Target, too. But I guess there are some sections I stroll right past. Pets and Babies would be other aisles I also routinely ignore, I suppose. But, I'm leaving my point. My point is that there are many super cheap dvds to be found here. LOTM was not on my mental radar at all. It dropped out of my memory years ago. But when I saw that is was $6.40, I snatched that baby right up. I wasn't planning on watching it right away, though. I recall it being a longer than average movie, so I thought it would be a nice gift to myself on a rainy day or something. However, as I was eating my toast the morning after, I instantly succumbed to the allure of my new purchase. I told myself I'd only watch it while I ate the toast. You can see where this is headed, right? Two hours later I peel myself from the couch, bread crumbs still all over my person. Thank god the dvd didn't have any special features or commentary or I wouldn't even have brushed my teeth that day. Needless to say, this movie fucking rocks. It does! The ending monologue by the, well, last of the mohicans is most splendid. And the deaths and suicide and running and emoting! Oh, the emoting! My personal favorite line in the movie is passionately yelled by Day-Lewis:

STAY ALIVE! I WILL FIND YOU! STAY ALIVE!

And then he jumps through the waterfall leaving her all teary-eyed to face Magua alone. The emotion is so encompassing when he says that line, it almost borders on self-parody. So of course I love it. When I first saw the movie in high school, I used to make my boyfriend say that to me whenever he had to part my company, like to go to 5th period or something. He did a killer impression. He's pretty good with the impressions, when, um, he can be. He also did a killer Aaron Neville. I would request that one about once a week, too.

The movie made me ponder whether it should be added to my all time Top 4, perhaps invoking a new All Time Top Group. My top four aren't in any particular order anyway and I'm feeling ready to add some jolts of freshness. The four being:

Bottle Rocket
Dr. Strangelove
Gone With The Wind
Living Out Loud

And so I shall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home