www.flickr.com

Friday, November 04, 2005

Tying Life and Art Together Nicely

I have been invited to a Dress To Impress shindig tomorrow night. Or Dress To Undress as those less couth are calling it. Where there will be apps and lots of drinks and lots of adult conversation, I fear. I don't want to go. But, sometimes I get lonely and somehow always end up going to these things.

I randomly read in the Metro this morning there will be a showing of A Clockwork Orange Saturday night at the Harvard Archive. Not only that, they will also be showing the Japanese movie Funeral Procession of Roses, which influenced Clockwork. On the site, it's described as "a narrative film punctured with man on the street interviews, experimental insertions of film leader, animation, and comic dialogue balloons popping out of character's mouths, and excessive, almost cartoonish violence." I LOVE that shit! I do! So, maybe I won't be standing around in heels and an empty smile all night after all.

Experimental insertions of film leader and the like really ties in nicely with the book I'm reading at the moment, New Media In Art (2005). Back in the 60s and early 70s, those wacky video artists were always doing goofy/ingratiating/daring things of that sort. Nam June Paik, one of the birth daddies of video art (along with Warhol), actually screened 30 minutes of unprocessed film leader as one of his first works. Can you imagine?! T-e-d-i-o-u-s. But, it was all so new and exciting for them. It was like, "Look! We're using the same medium Hollywood uses for their tacky musicals! Let's be subversive!"

The dialogue balloons coming out of mouths actually reminds me of an ecstasy trip a friend once relayed to me. She actually kept seeing this happen whenever anyone spoke. It was quite frightening for her, especially when she couldn't get it to stop. Reminds me of that time I retardedly decided to watch the South Park movie on acid. Baaaaaaad idea. There were like huge gross veins pulsing in the characters' already huge eyes. And I could see their skeletons underneath their clothes. Ack! But, later I became BFF with my Taco Bell burrito and he helped calm me down. Which all ties in nicely with the ECSTASY exhibit now happening at the LA MOCA. Looks pretty fantastic. I'm going to have to make a special trip out there to check it out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashbloem said...

That exhibit looks awesome.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home