www.flickr.com

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Part 2: What do you do with a BA in English/It Sucks to be Me

What to do? What to do? So much to do! So much to see! Luckily, the guest room is also the computer room. I immediately set to work plotting my course, since I knew I would be going it alone, being the only person friggin' awake. Now here's something you may not know about me: I'm addicted to Whole Foods. No, not like 'in general.' The actual store, Whole Foods. I'm quite aware of the fact that it's lame to be addicted to a grocery store. But there it is. I tell you this because the first place I plotted for my day's journey was, yes, the Whole Foods in Chelsea. All other destinations came a distant second on my need-to-visit roster. I'm not going to bore you with the details of the visit itself. Again, I am painfully aware that it will interest absolutely no one reading this blog. (Unless I title it the Whole Foods blog. Hmmmmm.) All you need to know is the food was yummy and I was happy.

Next stop: Avenue Q.

I own the soundtrack. I've forced the songs upon my friends, snuck in between Arcade Fire and Stars on mix cds. Now, it was time for me to see the actual musical. Or so I wistfully imagined as I cantered over to the Broadway theater. Backstory: tickets to this adult muppets show, with songs like "It's ok to be Gay" and "Everyone's a little bit racist" and "What do you do with a BA in English/It sucks to be Me," run $100+ for the crappy seats. But, BUT, they hold a 'lottery' before each show wherein everyone drops their name in a hat and prays and stands around for an hour until they decide it's time to draw, oh, SIX names out of at least 60. I'm starting to sound bitter because I didn't win. Darnitalltohell.

Next stop: MOMA

Aaah, the MOMA. Always a nice retreat for me when I'm in the big city. It's like my art spa. Nothing but the big time at the MOMA. You don't have to wonder about the value or importance of any of the art you're viewing. It's all important and will all be written about in art history books forever. You just look and mentally file away the images as reference points for later reading. Over the ticket counter? An enormous Miro. What greets you right when you walk up the stairs? A Monet that is at least 4 times my size. Fantastic. Plus, the building is all spanking new. And it's spacious. Their placement of a lot of the art is dead on good. For instance, the Miro at the ticket counter is a bit forgettable when you're looking at it from the main level, but when you're on the second level and you casually look down at the lobby- way more enjoyable. I hit the contemporary galleries first, because that's my thang. Next, I wound my way up to the design exhibit, where selected everyday items were chosen for their exemplary design. For instance, the iPod, and Leggos, and a Swatch. Which personally, I think is fun, especially in the context that they're sharing the same space and being brought to the same level as Starry Night and Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory. Then, it was on to photography. I had just begun my journey in these galleries when the went-to-bed-at-7:30 am crew called. They had forced themselves awake and were headed into town. Off I went to meet them at Grand Central.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home