www.flickr.com

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I Miss My Childhood


Currently, I'm watching Grosse Pointe Blank starring John Cusack and Minnie Driver. I remember really liking this movie when I watched it in the theater back in 1997 (when I actually watched movies in the theater), but it's not holding up so well on a second viewing. However, it's dawned on me why I enjoyed it so much the first time: the soundtrack consists solely of the sweet, sweet tunes of my youth (otherwise known as the 80s). It was one of the first movies I watched as a young adult that incorporated the songs from my very own formative musical era. I mean, that couldn't help but leave a favorable impression.

Unfortunately, the film itself is uneven at best. Its moments of charm involve the awesome cast of supporting characters, including Alan Arkin, Jeremy Piven, and particularly Minnie Driver. The American accent is working for her, let me tell you. What a lusty, full voice she has. (Now I'm kinda curious about that album she put out to little fanfare. But maybe that's a stone better left unturned.) On the flip side, the moments completely lacking in charm or believability involve Cusack's secret life as an assassin. I'm sorry, but Lloyd Dobler is no assassin. I mean, he'll always be a little bit of Lloyd, right? It's the baggage he must carry; along with his sister, who's featured here as his assistant. She does a pretty ok job. Actually, she does a fine job. All of the actors do a great job. I blame the faults of this movie on the writers (which included Cusack) and the director (George Armitage), who has made no other significant movie. Ever.

Regarding a bigger message, well, there doesn't appear to be one. This story is singularly about Blank's midlife crisis. There's only so much relating that can be done to a guy still crushing on the girl he stood up at the senior prom 10 years ago in order to join the army, only to become disenchanted and seek out the glamorous life of an Rayban wearing assassin. If only his motivations had been more tellingly revealed, the audience could have taken a bit more with them as the credits rolled- instead of just the urge to strip to your undies and boogie to the Violent Femmes (which, I guess, is enough when you're 22).

No, sadly, the movie leaves the plot as a cute premise at best, and a muddled action romance at worst.

...

Obligatory favorite quote: (regarding the reunion)
"It was just as if everyone had swelled."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home