www.flickr.com

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I Prefer Taco Bell Anyway

So, I’m reading the New York Times article “Salads or No, Cheap Burgers Revive McDonald's” and I come to this paragraph:

According to an analysis of government data published this month in The Journal of the American Medical Association, 45 percent of non-Hispanic blacks and 36.8 percent of Mexican-Americans aged 20 and over are obese, as opposed to 30.6 percent of non-Hispanic white adults.
What does this paragraph tell me? There has never been more proof that Hispanics are taking over the world. If each race needs to be delineated in relation to its Hispanic brethren, then fuck! If that doesn't equal a lot of freaking Hispanics, it does equal an inordinate use of the word Hispanic, at the very least. First victory, news articles; next vistory, the world!

It’s really weird to think of myself classified as a Hispanic White, though. But, I’m not a Hispanic White! I’m a White Hispanic. I’m Hispanic, I just look white. Right? Oh wait, I'm both. So what does that make me?

Of course, it has to be some goofy McDonalds article that messes with my sense of identity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home