www.flickr.com

Friday, October 14, 2005

Bad Nation, Bad Holiday

I was one of only five people forced to work on Monday, the sacred Columbus holiday of our country. I never, ever realized people literally celebrated (read: get the day off of work) this holiday until I moved to Boston. Boston is down with every single national holiday in the book. Veteran's Day? Hell yeah! You, your mother, and her dog will have the day off. Except for sad, little, admittedly wanting in national spirit, me. But I don't begrudge YOU for this, so I will move on.

I did partake of some actual celebrating. Albeit of the very tedious, boring, stuffing of food variety. Did you know "Columbus Day" is pronounced "Thanksgiving" in Canada? Since I have a Canadian friend who has become recently invigorated about throwing house parties, a big group of us were invited to celebrate. When I received the invitation, I replied with a quick "YesI'llbethereandI'llbringcorn!" In other words, I was excited from the get go. Me and a couple of others even got more in the spirit of things and placed feathers from a duster in our hair and painted unintentionally ugly markings on our faces in red paint. And, I wasn't doing these things only to be cute. I was preparing for something. I didn't know exactly for what, but definitely something. From previous experience, the Thanksgivings I end up sharing with friends usually rank among the highlights of each year. There was one most fantastic Thanksgiving where I nearly made out with my gay roommate, but later found him licking his boyfriend's nipples on the dancefloor. Now, that was a good time. (Ok, that might be a very subjective opinion.) However, within 10 minutes of us arriving, I realized this affair was going to be a very sorry exception. This was a party hosted by, and entirely consisting of, dare I utter the word?...Adults! Or, adults behaving like adults, or however you want to phrase it. What I'm trying to say is, the only things that welcomed me when I walked through the door were bland conversation, excessive politeness, and, ok, I have to admit, really good food.

Bwaaaaaaah! How did this happen?! Damn you, 30th birthday! I knew this is where you were leading me. We all sat around making inoffensive conversation and peeling ourselves off of the leather couch every hour to refill on 5,000 more calories of carbs until it was time to go home. Isn't that horrible? Can you think of a worse way to spend an evening out? I think not.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashbloem said...

That sounds boring. Are you going to be around this Thanksgiving? I'm going to have too much alcohol and make an ass out of myself, then pass out on the floor.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home