www.flickr.com

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Things Of Note

That Happened To Me Today

1. My eyeglasses flew off of my head in the insane gusts of wind felt around Boston, causing me to yell "Jesus!" and "Fuck!" Also, causing others to stop and laugh at poor me. Miraculously (I seriously did ponder the existence of God after this), my eyeglasses managed to float unharmed through traffic and in front of one very big mack truck, landing gently on the double yellow lines in the middle of the road. Of course, I ran after them like an insane person with arms like a frantic windmill trying to save them. Which I did. I'm wearing them now.

2. Finally for the love of god, finished the first Kubrick movie in my Casa de Notyomomma Retrospective- Killer's Kiss. Boy, is it choppy. The music is sparse, more than likely because he had no budget (I'm assuming). The actors are sub-par and the timing of the action is off. But, it's not a miserable movie. It's clearly amateur, but there are a few shots where you can tell he's looking through the lens with an artist's eye. He seems to like using the mirrors in this one. Maybe because he was force to use cramped quarters? But, there is a duality of pov running throughout the film: she looking over into his practically identical apartment, he doing the same; intercut of one of her typical nights with one of his typical nights. I can't wait to watch the next one and see how he progresses, which also makes me realize reading a biography on him at the same time would be most fantastic.

3. Purchased James Frey's A Million Little Pieces today. I'm reading a non-fiction now, but just finished a novel (Lolita, to be exact). Somehow, somewhere I heard good (raves, actually) things about it. So, after I finish New Media In Art and Interpreter of Maladies and the Kubrick biography, this will be next! I'm getting way ahead of myself, aren't I? It happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home