www.flickr.com

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Word of the Day: Hoe-y (Not to be confused with hoagie)

I'm trying to flip flop my schedule. I took off work yesterday, which gave me plenty of time to rest up. I was glued to the tv. It was just one of those days where all I wanted to do was lie in front of the tv. Truly, that's all I wanted to do. I just feel the need to do that about every couple of weeks. I think the reason is watching tv is the only time my mind shuts down. I've tried meditating. I've tried reading mindless magazines. Nothing compares to watching tv in achieving almost complete mental arrest.

So, what did I watch? Such an interesting question. Well, let's see...the day began with some cnn. I've started watching again since Katrina. Followed up with a good dose of videos, switching between MTV, VH1, and MTV Hits. I used to be in love with Shakira's new video starring her hot self and also a very hot Alfonso person. But I guess I've seen that one too many times now. My new video love is Kanye West. His "Golddigger" video with Jamie Foxx, in fact. It's shot so well. There's not a whole bunch of frantic, senseless energy going on in the frames. Usually, it's just Kanye and one woman or just a tight shot of Kanye. I love the shot of the back of Kanye's head, where he's moving his head to the beat, singing, and snapping his fingers. Because the shot is so simple and taken from behind, it's a novel approach. From a photographic standpoint, the background is always crisp and clean. Again, not a lot of superflousness crowding everything. The women are also not as hoe-y as usual. They've got nice satin tight fitting corsets on, not god awful daisy dukes or halters or the like.

Then, I gravitated to the TLC. I guess that just proves I'm female. I watched A Makeover Story, A Baby's Story, and the one about getting engaged. Fluffy! All of it. Finally, my night ended with a triple shot of Kathy Griffin's new reality show. LOVED IT. Soo loved it. She's fantastically funny. Finally, I got sick of it all and got into bed, setting my alarm for 4 am. Yeah, I know- yeah, right. Well, I did get up at 5 am. I actually watched a bit more tv this morning. But, I have another reason for this morning's viewing. I read, for the love of me I can't remember where (Boston Globe?), that this person conducted all of these rigorous scientific studies on himself and came across the discovery that he was less depressed throughout the day if he watched one hour of large talking heads in the morning. It can't be any other time of the day. He theorizes this may hark back to the Stone Age, when we humans communicated mainly during the mornings, then all split up to forage and survive. Well, I have totally bought into it and my large talking heads of choice will be the cnn pundits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home